Search This Blog

01 September 2006

A quick update from down under.

Have just completed the second stage of my TRANS OZ walk for ROSE- Meckering to Medderin as well as the chunk from Freemantle on the Indian Ocean to Perth.

The walking was good - with an improved cart - a Chariot Cheetah 2 - a big improvement over the 2004 equipnment albeit the tires need an upgrade - there is a particular type of low Aussie thornbush that punctures the tires with no conscience.
3 flats en route till I figured out what the culprit was. One more day in the next session will have me through the Wheat Belt and into the Ghastly Blank. Whilst I can move unsupported for most of the next section it is clear that I now have to work on the putting in place an upgraded support mechanism as the ghastly blank is just upon upon me.

Met a lot of good people en route - an Austrian bicycling from Kalgoorlie to Perth yielded a roadside chat and a contribution of $10 for ROSE. An inadvertent stop in a toy stoy in Merredin to pass some time waiting for a bus - yielded some more good people, a good chat and another $10 for ROSE. This and a more significant allocaiton will be transmitted to ROSE upon my return to Whitehorse later in September.

Just outside of Merredin I was overtaken by a mob of Brits - a lad Dave Cornthwaite who is skateboarding across Aussie - similiar route to moi, for three charities. He had his own personal massage therapist (girlfriend!), 3 support vehicles, a film maker and about 5 other support team members. He expects to be in Brisbane by xmas. We had a good roadside film session and later on in Merredin a few beer swapping information and encouragement. As a former graphic designer he even offered to do a web site for me if my daughter fades on that mission! A picture of "The Walking Man" is available on Dave's website along with a narrative comment on our meeting! www.boardfree.co.uk - gallery for pic and Dave's blog for narrative.

Today I took in the RC of Perth meeting and established some additional contacts and support for future years. On Sunday, I head east to Adelaide to meet with Rotary clubs there and then Melb and then Sydney before heading home on the `18th of September.

Before heading to Perth I stopped in at the Sydney Children\s hospital to see a 3 and 1/2 year old kid fighting luekemia - Matthew Brock. I had sent him three boxes of toys as a boost and needed to cap off the initiative by seeing him bedecked in a TEAM CANADA hockey jersey and ballcap. A spiderman figure which shoots water was seeing effective use on the nursing corps and young Matthew was grinning at the prospect of a surprise for his doctor (The Prof) - I met his mum and grandmum. A slight diversion from my main Aussie objective but one worth addressing because " In the End, Only Kindness Matters". I had a number of gold plated coins done up and they are proving to be very effective at raising awareness and commitment to the projects aims. Prior to leaving Canada I had been in contact with Steve Nash Foundation in Vancouver and they had committed to sending Matthew some appropriate Steve Nash autographed item.

I hope to forge a stronger relationship with that Foundation in the future to look at opportunities for mutual collaboration and support.

I am the charter club president for a new RC in Whitehorse - the RC of Whitehorse Entrepreneurs - to be chartered in October upon my return and this will be a useful vehicle to opening more doors and gaining more support for my ROSE related initiative.

From Down Under,

The Keeper of Australia Mt

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi people
I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

Anonymous said...

I like this site! Thanks for admin!
- www.blogger.com m
spaghetti alla carbonara

Anonymous said...

Greetings!...
- rosecharities.blogspot.com l
07 car civic honda
buy used car
car undefined used
used car bergen
used car oakland
used car greensboro
used car raleigh
used car killeen
used car vallejo
used car tacoma

Anonymous said...

[url=http://teenboat.blogspot.com]teenboad[/url]
teenboad
http://teenboat.blogspot.com