Search This Blog

20 July 2007

After 2 months in Sudan

Well, who would tell that time in Malakal goes so fast.
Almost time to go back to my life, first in Brazil, and later in Vancouver,
where I know I will go to many matinees, work a little, hopefully continue
my outreach travels, and eat lots of sushi…

Anyway, I have learned a lot working with the UN in a remote town,
devastated by armed conflicts, with a social structure that includes a
town/tribe court, and many groups who came here to provide support,
including the UN, NGOs, religious groups, and see all these signs in various
language – Arab, English, French.

It is wonderful to me to have dialogues with "nationals" who seek
counseling, and discuss their dilemma between 2 cultures- the traditional
one which establishes rules that not always are efficient in modern life.
For example, one of my "clients," a bright young man in his late twenties
struggles because his father wants him to get married, and has collected a
few cows to give to the bride's family. It seems that the average is 30
cows. He thinks this is absurd as he has a good job at the UN, and knows
that he will be able to provide his wife to be with a reasonable life. Also,
he wants to marry a woman who is bright, has ambition and admires what he
does. He struggles, and when we finish sessions, he usually grab my hand and
say – this was so good. I feel free talking to you.

It is almost disconcerting how the people treat me with gentle manners. They
always want to carry my heavy packs, always asking if I need anything, it is
remarkable. Some cannot believe that I am this old, and come and show to
others, and ask them to guess how old I am, and they admire because
according to some, many people at my age would be dead, and if not, they
look really old.

I continue to love the skin of their faces, with tattoos like lines,
sometimes they look like embroided faces. I wish I could take pictures.
Perhaps in the end, some of them would accept to take pictures with me.
Somebody told me that they are writing a petition to get me back in Malakal.
I was offered a real job with the UN for one year contract. It was
attractive, but not in my age, but I agreed to come for another 3 months –
up to December, so I will be back in Sudan, likely not in Malakal because
there will be other challenges.

Life and work is possible because I am living mindfully, and in every moment
I feel right to be here, to do what I am doing, and to help others to feel
that this is part of their journey. There is no doubt most of us have
thoughts about being here, AND about being or not being somewhere else. Only
a few of the people I see are truly citizens of this town. We are all
visitors, and we must remember to leave things in order, and make even
better after leaving. I continue absorbing more and more David Brazier's
books – I keep reading them again, and making notes, which I likely will
delete soon… The desire for so many things, for company of loved ones, for a
pedicure. It is amazing how sometimes it is hard to keep the fire in
control, smile at all thoughts I have about somewhere, someone who is not
present. And then I am able to return to my life and work in Malakal.

My last challenge was to fix or better say, to organize the laundry at the
Log base camp. I was excited with the task, and hopefully could complete
before I leave, in a less than 2 weeks. It is almost done. I dream with
clothes lines… should be an architect. Hahaha.

Last week before I went to Khartoum we had horrible storms and the flight I
was going to Khartoum did not land in Malakal, so the following morning we
took a small plane and ended up landing in another city because there was
the possibility of another Haboob in Khartoum. So, it took me more than one
day to arrive, but the training was excellent. Some form of Myers Briggs
stuff, we laughing discovering our preferences and matches in the counseling
team. I am glad that the new counselor who will come to Malakal – Jane is an
African who thinks like me, make decisions based on same principles, and
already knows she will love to come and replace me, after telling her the
adventures and the projects.

My undone project is a Peace park, involving the UNMIS police and the local
police, and I am sure she will carry one for me.

So, I have to go because I have a few meetings, and all. I am not
overwhelmed with the end of this, but I am in touch with how much I miss
many people around, particulars of my routine, and at the same time I
already know that I will miss this challenging job, its surroundings, the
people I met. But it is reassuring to know that I will come back, and may
meet some of them.

Keep the water boiling and we will have coffee soon. Hopefully a strong and
fresh one. With pao de queijo, or anything else that is appealing to our
taste.

Be well, love to all
Yaya

No comments: